My new living room. (And the late, great Kurt Cobain). Yeah, I painted part of that wall!

My new living room. (And the late, great Kurt Cobain). Yeah, I painted part of that wall!

To me, it was almost unreal during my first couple of days back home — living in my own place for the first time in almost three years.

I would wake up during the night and think to myself, “What do I have tomorrow at Q.L.I.? …. Oh right, I’m home!”

Out at Q.L.I., I had several appointments every day for six months. Therapies. Outings. A busy schedule. So it kind of became programmed into me.

Now that I’m back in Denver, I will still have some therapy for a little while longer, but it will be done in my home town again. 🙂 So far, being back in Denver and living independently has been going really well.

During the first couple of weeks, I’ve had Q.L.I. staff out here with me to help me get situated and to problem-solve a few things I was having trouble with like how to arrange my kitchen in a way that works best for me, and how to safely open certain doors from my walker. I will still have Q.L.I. staff with me for a couple days next week. But for the most part, I’m on my own again.

I also am so happy that the same caregiver I had before I moved to Omaha is working with me again. Noelle is so helpful and so much fun. She spends a few hours with me, here and there, for things like errands or appointments.

My apartment, so far, is coming together really nicely. My dad and I even painted an accent wall together to give my new digs some character.

It feels so great to be back, really exciting to be on my own again! Call me crazy but I kind of miss being at Q.L.I. Yes, I said “kind of.” I miss the intensity of the therapies out there. I miss knowing that when I was out there it was getting me one step closer to my finish line. But I mainly miss the people. The staff and even some of the residents were awesome. Granted, it was really hard to be away from my home, family, and friends for that long. But when I look back at it now, those 6 months really did fly by. And they were so essential in my recovery.

Now that I’m back, I am relearning a lot of things: everything from cooking to cleaning; how to use public transportation; and how to rebuild my social circle. I have to admit that being back is a little challenging. My fears are that I’m basically fending for myself again. My joys are being able to see my family and friends, not being one state away anymore. And my hopes include meeting some more great, new people and being able to succeed when I go back to college this fall.

After my workout yesterday, I had made lunch plans with my good friend, Leigh. When I returned home, I walked out of my apartment alone and met her at her car. We then drove to a restaurant — and I walked into and out of the restaurant on my walker. We had a great meal and lots of laughs. I’m thinking this will become a typical day for me in 2014.

Other than that, I’m just so happy to be home. I’m excited about getting my life back on track!

Leave a Reply